So much has happened in the past month that I didn’t really know where to begin! I was going to break it all down into smaller posts but that has just led me to procrastinate typing it all up so I’m going to just write it all in this post!
A couple of weeks after our first foray into viewings, we were back at it. This time we went by ourselves and had a look at a small village about ten minutes drive away from the first town we had a look at. We quite liked the quieter feel while still being close to town.
We viewed four properties that day. There was one definite ‘no’ due to a lack of natural light and a small garden and two definite maybe’s for various reasons. The last one of the afternoon I didn’t even recall booking the viewing for. We loved it. It needs some work but not nearly as much as the other place we looked at did. It had three bedrooms, a garage and a huge garden.
After the viewing, we went to the local pub to discuss what we had seen. We started chatting to the bartender and she told us more about the area (and the other local pubs!). Talking about what we wanted from our forever home really cemented our decision and we put in a lower offer on the final place we saw.
A few days later we found out we had been successful and our offer had been accepted! We were both in a bit of shock, we fully expected the offer to rejected as it was last time. Over the next week there were a flurry of emails from the real estate recommending mortgage brokers and solicitors to us going to comparison websites and doing our own research. We ended up going with the real estate agents recommended broker and finding our own solicitor via the comparison website and this seems to have worked out well.
We had a homebuyer’s report done on the place to make sure there was nothing serious wrong with it (again, we used a comparison site to get the best deal). Thankfully there wasn’t.
So as it stands, our solicitor is making the final checks on the property and we are still awaiting the outcome of our mortgage application.
We are still in two minds about potentially leaving London. I’ve gone over the pros and cons in my mind more than a few times and there are advantages to both options but ultimately I believe we can make a good go of living in this new area.
I look forward to letting you knowing whether we are going to be homeowners or not in the next post!